Hi all! A lot has changed in the last month or so. Due to an alarming increase in national Covid cases and heightened social gathering restrictions, we had to restructure our last event/group ride to CES. Instead of having everyone gather and ride together to the drop site, we arranged small groups in compliance with the state's social gathering mandates (groups of 10 or less, 3 households or less only) and coordinated staggered arrival and departure times. Though it was a bit of a challenge, everything worked out and we were still able to haul over 1,200 pounds of supplies to CES!
This time around, we have decided to do something a little (or a lot) different in place of our usual biweekly event/group ride. Introducing... The 1st Annual Bikes & Bites Haul-a-Day Bingo Challenge! The main goals are to collect donations, support local businesses, bike, and have fun, while keeping safety at the forefront.
So how does it work? Starting Saturday 12/5, begin completing as many bingo squares as you can! For every BINGO you complete, you get an entry into the grand prize drawing. Every row, column, and diagonal of 5 squares is a BINGO. Bonus: if you get every single square on the board (a blackout), that earns you another entry!
- There are 13 local businesses on your bingo card. Head to each location and snap a picture of you/your bike and the business to complete the square.
- Earn an extra entry for every purchase you make at one of the local businesses on your card! Just snap a picture of what you purchased!
- Post your pics to your Instagram story and tag us + the business. If you don't have Instagram or would prefer not to post, just save your pictures in your camera roll so you can show us at the end as we tally up your bingos.
- There are 12 different donation items on the bingo card. Complete these squares by simply collecting these items to donate - whether from a family member or going to the store and picking some up on your own! Get a head start by telling your friends, family, neighbors, etc. this week about what you're doing and see if they can have a box of diapers or a bottle of laundry detergent ready for you to pick up on 12/5. Donations items that will be on your bingo card are listed below so you can start planning.
- Suggested Script: Hi ____! I am participating in the Bikes & Bites Haul-a-Day Bingo ride on December 5th and need to collect donations of the following items in any quantity (must the more the better!). Please let me know if I can count on you for a contactless bicycle pick up of any of these items at your home! All supplies benefit mutual aid organizations across Minneapolis who are hurting ro supplies right now. Please forward this message on to anyone who you think may have an item or two on the list to pick up. Thank you!
- If you want to participate but are not a biking enthusiast, you can earn entries into the drawing for every $10 in donations to ZACAH. You can VENMO us and we will send along with the rest of the proceeds or feel free to donate to ZACAH directly.
The Haul-a-Day Bingo Challenge will take place on Saturday 12/5. RSVP to receive a bingo card by paying the buy-in fee (suggested donation: $10/person) by THURSDAY 12/3 at NOON. You can Venmo @BikesandBitesMPLS directly or if you prefer to pay another way, get in touch with us so we know you're in! Bingo cards will then be delivered to you on FRIDAY 12/4 or you can pick up your card from B&B HQ at any point starting Friday morning. Bingo cards and any donations you have collected should be dropped off at B&B HQ by 5PM on SATURDAY 12/5 to ensure you get your entries into the drawing!
As for the grand prize... You have the chance to win a chariot ride (courtesy of Brian) around a Minneapolis lake of your choice on our big trailer (your favorite beverage also included). An Instagram Live drawing to determine the winner will take place on Saturday evening after all Bingo cards have been scored. And of course, this is all to benefit mutual aid organizations in Minneapolis; all supplies collected from this event will benefit Sanctuary Supply Depot, Community Aid Network MN, and Phillips Free Store. All cash proceeds will go to ZACAH, an organization that provides direct aid to those experiencing homelessness.
Thanks for staying with us while we attempt to sort out our updated Covid-safe protocol! We're sad we won't be able to ride together as a big group for a little while, but we are hoping everyone will still participate in these fun individual and safe challenges! Please let us know if you have any ideas regarding future safe/distanced event concepts. Keep in touch with us as always - we are just one email, DM, text, or phone call away should you have any questions, concerns, ideas, or if you just want to check in and chat! Stay safe and healthy.